NOTES FROM THE BURROW

NOTES FROM THE BURROW

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Me. I can definitely lose it. My mother...a nut. My grandfather...stories about him are legendary.

I come from a long line of major overreactors. My grandmother didn't like the woman my uncle was marrying so her reaction was to not attend the wedding. Her son's own wedding. Once, my dad didn't like the TV show my sister was watching so he cut the power cord to the television set. I promise that I am not kidding. He just cut it right in two. He might have considered grounding her from the television, maybe discussing why he felt the show was inappropriate. But not my dad. He ended up having to use electrical tape to splice the cord back together. Good as new.

I've got some doozies of my own. I was in a bad mood one day and was cleaning the boys room. This job always puts me in a horrible mood because I find all kinds of disgusting things in there. On top of their dresser was a 5 gallon fish tank with 4 or 5 goldfish that they won at a carnival. I looked at the dirty fish tank and had just had it. I hefted the fish tank outside and threw it away. Fish and all. A little bit of overreacting, I would say.

Christopher got a Darth Vader alarm clock for his birthday and it was the stupidest clock ever because there was no way to set the alarm nor turn the alarm off without taking out the batteries. The alarm clock would go off at all hours of the day and night. It drove me crazy! I warned him to take the batteries out. One day, we're driving in the car and the alarm clock goes off. It was in my little "glove box bin" or whatever that thing in the middle of the car that holds stuff is called. It was going off...beeep....beeep....beeep....beeep. I'd had enough. I opened the window and out when the alarm clock right into the intersection of Ann Arbor Road and Sheldon. Overreact much?

I was reminded of all this today because I had a similar overreaction urge this morning. When everyone started getting ready, I could smell a smelly smell that smelled smelly. I searched the house for the source. I smelled the boys. I checked the toilets for maybe an unflushed turd. I smelled the bottom of shoes and the bottom of the dog. I just couldn't find the smelly smell. Let me clarify that I am no stranger to smelly smells. My babies have the smelliest poopy diapers known to man. They make even me gag. Our dog had a terrible problem with her anal glands. If you know anything about the smell of a dog's anal glands, you know that I am the master of handling smelly smells. So I found myself stumped this morning as to the origin of the smell. I loaded the dishes into our FIXED dishwasher (!) and opened the cupboard under the sink for the dishwasher soap and wowwie! there was the smell. Under the sink, it was smelly and wet and covered with ground up food bits. Somehow the pipe that fits into the garbage disposal had come undone but no one noticed. It was disgusting. I pulled everything out and cleaned out the mess under there and was ready to fix the pipe when the boys screamed for breakfast. So I served them cereal and popped bread in the toaster to toast. I got back under the sink and was messing with the pipe, trying to figure out how to fix it when I started to smell a new smell. A burning toast smell. Smoke was billowing from the toaster and there were 4 burned lumps of bread in there. AAAAHHHH! I already hate our toaster because it is really cheap and doesn't do a very good job of toasting. I figured it was finally completely on the fritz and I was so frustrated I almost pulled the toaster off the counter and threw it in the trash. However, I stopped myself, regained my composure and fixed the pipe. Once the pipe was fixed, I looked at the toaster. Someone had switched the setting from the lightest to the darkest. The toaster wasn't broken and I'm glad I didn't overreact and throw it away.

It was such a crazy morning. I'm glad they aren't all like this.

1 comment:

Stacie said...

I definitely would have overreacted. Yikes. Glad you found the smelly smell. I'm sorry to laugh at your expense! I'm also glad your dishwasher is fixed!

Related Posts with Thumbnails