NOTES FROM THE BURROW

NOTES FROM THE BURROW

Monday, January 7, 2008

Weekly Top Five 1/6/2008

Top Five Favorite Classical Works of Art

1. "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" by Seurat

Started out as my favorite because of it's moment of glory in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off." Now I really love it and hope to see it someday in person at the Art Institute of Chicago


2. "Vitrana" by Dominick Labino

I can remember staring at this as a child on tours of the Toledo Museum of Art. I would sit on the floor as the docent talked and try to choose my favorite square. I have loved Labino since my parents took me to his studio/workshop to meet him. I hope to have a very large collection someday. Currently, I have 1 piece by him that I inherited from my parents.

3. "The Bear Dance" by William Beard


My dad gave me a print of this for my birthday one year and I love it. I had it in the children's room when Emily and Christopher were little. Christopher took a nap one day, took it out of the frame and ripped into little pieces all over their room. What a stinker! I haven't replaced it but I hope to someday.

4. "Girl Among the Hollyhocks" by John Hafen


This painting is hanging over my desk and in the bride's room at the Toronto Temple where Chris and I were sealed. I love it.

5. I don't know the name and artist of this one but it is two girls in a boat on a little river or maybe picnicing by a little river. One has brown hair and one has red hair. It was hanging on the wall of my best girlfriend's room when we were girls. I used to imagine that it was she and I. I wish I could find it but I just don't know the name or artist.

***Thank you to Suzy for finding this for me by accident! The painting that I love is called, "The Nut Gatherers" by William Adolphe Bouguereau. The original hangs in the DIA. I was obviously the girl on the right and my friend, Eliza, was girl on left. There don't appear to be any rivers nearby them so my memory isn't as great as I thought it was. I'm going to have to get a copy of this for Emily's room someday.



1 comment:

Suzy said...

Hi Jen! I'm posting on yours now! Loved the moment of art appreciation...my fave would have to be "The Nut Gatherers" at the DIA. I remember loving it from the time I was really young.

Related Posts with Thumbnails