NOTES FROM THE BURROW

NOTES FROM THE BURROW

Sunday, January 6, 2008

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city." --George Burns

Today was the Platte Family Christmas Party. This event happens every year after Christmas and is part Christmas party, part family reunion. The Platte Family is comprised of my grandmother, her children, her children's children, and her children's children's children. Someday in the near future, i bet we'll have her children's children's children's children. My grandmother is 90. You can read about her here. She has 10 daughters living. They are Aunts Judy, Pat, Katie, Bernie, Mary, Linda, Annie, Jackie, Susie and Tina (born when my grandma was 50). My mother fits between Mary and Linda. There was one son, Tom, who died before I was born, in an accident. His wife remarried and they and their children come to the party too.
A photo of them as children. My mom is peeking out just to the left of my grandma. Anna looks just like her.


The Plattes 2008


My aunts are amazing women. I look up to each one in a different way but mostly I look up to them because they are all such outstanding mothers. Six of them have over five children, several over 10. I have 61 first cousins. My cousins range in age from 18 months to (I'm guessing) 45. Sorry to my oldest cousins if you are younger than this. Many of my cousins are married with children. These children range in age from 22 to newborns. I don't know how many children there are. I would guess somewhere around 90. This brings the total number of people including spouses and significant others attending the party to somewhere around 170. 170 people all attending because of two people who married over 70 years ago and built a strong family with a determination to weather any storm and stand steadfast and immovable.

As long as I can remember, we have held the party at a hall because we are too large a group to fit in anyone's home. When I was little it was at the Westphalia Fire Hall and also at the Westphalia old hall that featured a rather scary basement. The party has been held at the new Westphalia Hall and finally has settled at the Pewamo Hall. As a child, the party involved seeing cousins and playing with toys. My sister and I were almost the only cousins that didn't live right in the same community as everyone else. There were times that I felt like an outsider because these people all knew each other so well and I was felt so different from them. Not only was I a city girl but I was also a different religion from everyone. It would always take me a few minutes to warm up but pretty soon I was running right along with the others. Sometimes we had Santa at the party and sometimes there were movies and pinatas. The party was always a highlight of the year. The current party involves eating the most incredible food on the planet, dodging basketballs, opening gifts and having to thank someone you might have never met for them, singing Christmas carols, keeping your 18 month old from drinking from random cups in the room that may or may not contain beer, talking, laughing and having fun. In addition, many people play cards and this year we took a group photo. The party lived up to all expectations.

I got to spend time laughing at my Uncle Dave's dry wit, marveling at the beauty and slenderness of cousins and aunts and wondering why my dad's genes are so dominate in my genetic makeup, singing favorite Christmas songs that I only get to hear at the party, eating glorified rice, talking with my grandma even though I don't think she knows me anymore, listening to all the complements on my beautiful children, proudly standing by Anna as everyone oohed and aahed over Lucy and just loving being with these people who represent the one person I miss more than anything.

As I listened to my aunts sing, (they are amazing) I could hear my mother's voice and see her standing there clapping and laughing. I was once again reminded that I am never going to stop missing her. She was there with us today and I will always cherish the Platte Party because at it I can feel that much closer to her.

Anna and Lucy, Me and Grandma Platte



Cameron having fun on a riding toy.


Uncle Sam with Anna and Lucy


Spencer or Michael Jordan?


Anna looks a little too excited about Lucy's first Platte Party toy.



Spencer gives a hearty thumbs up to his Assault Machine Gun. Maybe they figured since we live near Detroit...?


Cameron was fascinated by the guitars and music.


He also got in on a poker game.


This is an interesting crucifix sculpture outside the hall. Calvin and Spencer got into a big argument over whether or not it is Jesus. I think I might have to agree with Spencer. That's not the Jesus that I know.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails