NOTES FROM THE BURROW

NOTES FROM THE BURROW

Friday, January 4, 2008

This is no longer a vacation. It's a quest. It's a quest for fun. I'm gonna have fun and you're gonna have fun.

On Tuesday, our family was treated to the most fun thing we have done in a really long time. Looking back, I can't remember having so much fun almost ever. We haven't had a vacation in years, we've been so stressed about finances and jobs lately and we just haven't taken the time to have fun. Growing up, I went on several vacations. They were few and far between due to my parent's health and finances. One year we went to Mackinaw Island. That was fun but I really wanted to see Skull Cave. (Or is it rock?) We couldn't afford the money to take the little carriage ride up to it and no one was healthy enough to walk me up there. Oh, the disappointment! One year we went to Florida. We spent two weeks in my grandmother's trailer. We actually did some fun things like go putt-putting and swimming in the ocean. I really wanted to go to Disney World but, again, no money. My second choice was to go to Miami. We didn't go there because my grandma said there were too many Mexicans. Or maybe Cubans. Too many of some ethnic group that she didn't like. As a consolation, we got to go to the Edison and Ford Winter Estates in Fort Myers. It didn't quite measure up.

My friends growing up went to exotic places like Cancun, on cruises, to Germany, Disney World, etc... I don't feel deprived or ungrateful. I just know that there is a whole world out there having fun vacations and I haven't really tasted of it yet. I've had a few bites but I want to eat the whole apple. I'm waiting my turn...I know it will happen someday.

Anyway, on Tuesday, we were treated to an afternoon at an indoor water park called Splash Universe in Dundee, Michigan. I had never been to a water park before and this was exactly the kind of fun I needed. The only drawback was that I had to be in public in a swimsuit, but oh well. I endured for the fun. There were super tall water slides that were completely dark and took my breath away when I went down. There were medium water slides that were twisty and turny and so completely exhilarating. There was a lazy river and a wave pool. There was a complete pirate ship-like climbing structure that dumped water on you constantly. It was so fun. I really have overused the word "fun" but that's exactly what it was. We got to eat pizza and play in the arcade too. All compliments of Chris' uncle, whom I just can't thank enough. It was such a wonderful day. I highly recommend it to any family looking for a day of uninhibited fun.

The kids with the Splash Universe beaver mascot



Pretending they are Zac and Cody and having a "Suite" life!


The whole gang, sans me: Back row: Jay, Brette, John, Keili, Kristie, Uncle John, Aunt Barbara Front Row: Aiden, Maya, Conner, Spencer, Calvin, Christopher and Emily



Spencer in some goofy glasses he won at the arcade.


2 comments:

Diana said...

wow, that sounds super fun! i love water parks--not so much the slides but playing on the water jungle gyms are fun with the kids.

Anna said...

I love the picture of Spencer with the goofy glasses on. It's awesome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails