NOTES FROM THE BURROW

NOTES FROM THE BURROW

Monday, January 21, 2008

Weekly Top Five 1/21/2008

Top Five Favorite Teachers

1. Mr. Scott Robertson--Taught me history for two years at St. Ursula. He was an incredible teacher. He knew his subject, he liked adolescents and working with us and you left his class actually enjoying history. He didn't start out as a teacher but worked somewhere else, went back to school and got his degree later in life. Mr. Robertson died my junior year of a heart attack. Everyone in our class was devastated. He was irreplaceable.

2. Mrs. Jane McGee--Also had Mrs. McGee in high school. I started out with her in sophomore Religion and gave her such a hard time. She was a little aloof at first and I had a hard time getting to know her. Finally, towards the end of the year, I really started enjoying her as a teacher and as a person. She had several of us over to her house and cooked us dinner. I remember it being really fun. My junior year, I couldn't fit the Latin class that I needed into my schedule, and she offered to teach me before school, on her own time. I came in early and had a one-on-one class with her. I think back now and I am amazed at that kind of dedication to a student.

3. Miss Heuring, now Mrs. Rodgers--I had Miss Heuring for the 4th grade. She was pretty and nice. I wanted to be just like her. She was great especially coming off Mrs. Molly Mott in the 3rd grade who was the meanest teacher EVER.

4. Sister Mary Caroline--Sister Caroline taught 8th grade math. She was a nun and old and mean but had a fun streak in her and somehow I was able to get on her good side and we really hit it off. Because of her, I was able to get my scholarship to St. Ursula.

5. Mr. Roy Williamson--I had Mr. Williamson for junior American Literature. He was a bit eccentric (gay) and spoke with a very interesting accent (gay), but he was mesmerizing to listen to. Most everything I learned about writing, I learned from him. I'll never forget his recitation of Edgar Allen Poe's, "The Bells."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails