NOTES FROM THE BURROW

NOTES FROM THE BURROW

Monday, April 14, 2008

Well sure we're friends aren't we?



Yesterday is going to go on record as one of the top 20 experiences of my life. I got to be reunited with an old friend who I hadn't seen in 10 years. Marybeth and I went through all of elementary and high school together. She became my best friend in the 4th grade and we remained together through a lot of stuff until we parted ways for college. She was always a better friend to me than I was to her. She supported me through some really tough times and I never really thanked her for being a solid rock in my life. I let her down more times than I can count. I particularly remember a shouting match we had in our little locker cubby at St. Ursula. She was mad at me for something and I started yelling at her, told her to stop acting like my mother, etc... A classmate walked by and said something like, you guys are too good of friends to let something like this come between you. That is exactly how I feel about our friendship. We are too good of friends to let a boy or a religion or 10 years come between us.

Being with her was the perfect mix of today and yesterday. We reminisced about so many things and shared all the new stuff. I got to meet her husband who you can tell just loves her so much and is such a great partner for her. She is expecting her first child, a girl, in September and she just exudes joy at the prospect of motherhood. She lives outside of Washington DC now and visits her family in Toledo several times a year.

In addition to seeing her, I got to see the rest of her family. Her mother, Mrs. Bauer, who was also my 7th grade teacher. Mrs. Bauer took in my sister and I many times when we needed it. I know she cared about me as I was growing up. I got to see her father, who always called me Jenny Benny. I remember some pretty scary rides to SUA in his van that involved a lot of honking and lane changing. Her sister and niece and a friend were there too. I don't know why, but I had this overwhelming feeling while I was there that this is what it would be like to have a relationship as a grown-up with a mother. Her mom cooked us dinner and kept refilling my drink and was fun to talk to and liked the pictures of my kids. I hunger for a place called home where you can go and be taken care of by the person who loves you more than anything else in the world.


Marybeth and I in high school.

Marybeth, thank you for your friendship. It means the world to me. Let's not let 10 years go by again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Related Posts with Thumbnails