NOTES FROM THE BURROW

NOTES FROM THE BURROW

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Fourth Biennial Second Thanksgiving Celebrated!

Today we celebrated our official Fourth Biennial Second Thanksgiving. This is held the day after Thanksgiving, hence the "second" Thanksgiving. The tradition started in 2003 when Jeff and Jamie bought a new home and wanted to hold Thanksgiving there. This was fine with us, however we arrived home that Thanksgiving night to a home that didn't smell like turkey and a refrigerator that didn't have leftovers arranged inside like an avalanche waiting to fall. This was no good. Friday, I went out and purchased the fixings for a second Thanksgiving dinner and cooked them and we ate them and rearranged the fridge like a Tetris puzzle. All was right with the world. Since then we have held Second Thanksgiving every year except the years that Anna and Tony are here for First Thanksgiving. It is a very complicated schedule that involves trigonometry and a slide rule.

Second Thanksgiving, thankfully, is very un-complicated. There are no rules. There is no timetable. That is why I spent the day in my pajamas and ate dinner with a large mustard splat on my shirt. That is why we ate snacks at 6:00 and dinner at 8:30. That is why at the end of the meal we celebrated with a rousing competition of armfarts and facefarts. Like I said, no rules. No timetable. No traditional Thanksgiving decorum.

The meal was scrumptious. Am I allowed to brag when I did all the cooking? You don't have to take my word for it. Spencer told me I was the best cooker ever. Pretty convincing! For snacks we had bacon wrapped water chestnuts, pigs in a blanket, nacho dip, corned beef hobos, pickled bologna, cheese, braunschweiger and crackers. For dinner we had turkey, my famous Sausage, Apple and Cranberry stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, cranberry relish, frog eye salad, razzleberry pie and banana cream pie drizzled with chocolate sauce. I loved every single thing I put in my mouth today. It was wonderful...wonderful...wonderful. The very best ever Second Thanksgiving.


My Razzleberry pie turned out so great. I was really proud.



Calvin after his shower.


Cameron hiding in the bedroom eating a bag of chips.

1 comment:

Diana said...

I want your stuffing recipe, please. Second Thanksgiving sounds perfect.

Related Posts with Thumbnails