NOTES FROM THE BURROW

NOTES FROM THE BURROW

Monday, November 19, 2007

Weekly Top Five 11/19/2007



Top Five Thangsgivings Of All Time:

1. Thanksgiving 1994. It was Anna, Dad and I and friends, Dave and Janna Voss. My Dad was in the hospital recovering from an MS exacerbation. Dave and Janna drove with me from East Lansing to Toledo the night before. We picked up Anna from whomever she was staying with and we stayed all together in our Heatherdowns House and all slept together in Anna's bedroom. But not all in the same bed. I should clarify that Dave and Janna were married friends. Married to each other. :) We stayed up late talking and laughing. Dad was in the hospital and so Janna, Anna and I made the whole meal and we took it there to the hospital and all shared it together. I can't remember what we ate, but I remember how tender Dad was that day. We each shared things we were thankful for and I remember how Dad cried as he talked about being thankful. I admired his ability to still find things to be thankful for when he faced such a debilitating disease day after day. He was truly amazing. It was wonderful being together with my family that I loved so much. Dave topped off the day by entertaining the floor with his professional piano playing ability. My favorite Thanksgiving ever.

2. Thanksgiving 2006. It was our family and Anna and Tony eating at our house. The food was EXCELLENT! Anna made some really great appetizers and we marinated the turkey in a brine overnight. It was so moist. The kids had so much fun and it really was a wonderful day. Not even a very emotional game of Apples to Apples could ruin it!

3. Thanksgiving 1997. This Thanksgiving Day was the day after Chris' grandma, Ma, died. We ate at Aunt Barbara's house. It was comforting being together as a family and share the grief that we all felt losing Ma. It felt good to laugh and talk and share together. Plus, Aunt Barbara is the best cook that I know. The food was superb.

4. Any Thanksgiving 1975-1992 that was held at Grandma Platte's. These Thanksgivings at my grandma's were picture perfect. Plentiful food, wonderful conversation, loving family...all the right ingredients for the sublime Thanksgiving.

5. Thanksgiving 1993. I was away from home at BYU and went to my roommate, Tiffany Cameron's house in Sandy, UT. Her family was so nice to have me and make me feel welcome. I missed my dad and Anna so much and they really included me and made me feel really special. We went to Alta Ski Resort, watched "Home Alone" and the food was really good. Best of all, I didn't have to cook any of it.

2 comments:

Diana said...

I remember your dad being such a positive and happy man. Such a noble trait for one who, like you mentioned, faced many trials. Your family is amazing!

Anna said...

I knew you would put that Thanksgiving as number one. I would too. Remember we took the card table in the van and put all the food on it so it wouldn't roll around, and remember how we didn't have the heat on in the house and so it was freezing when we slept that night?
Love you

Related Posts with Thumbnails