NOTES FROM THE BURROW

NOTES FROM THE BURROW

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Movie Review

Last night, we saw the movie, "The Great Debaters." It starred Denzel Washington, Forest Whitaker and some other people I don't know. It was an awesome movie. The acting was so good. I enjoyed every performance but especially Nate Parker who played Henry Lowe. Not sure if I liked his acting or his smile better. Being a white person, I don't know much about Black History except what I was taught about Martin Luther King, Jr. Even then, I was in school before they really started teaching much about it. Of course, I've seen movies like "Ghosts of Mississippi" and read books like, "Caine River," so i've been exposed to the injustice inflicted upon black people. For some reason, it hit me harder watching "The Great Debaters." I can't imagine living in that environment and raising a family with that kind of oppression. Watching it made me feel so blessed to be who I am, living in the time that I do.

I am glad to have seen this movie because I'm sure it will be nominated for awards and usually when we are watching the award shows, we haven't seen any of the nominated movies. It will be nice to have one to root for for a change.

I recommend this movie to adults. There is one scene that is sexual in nature but it is brief and doesn't show anything. Also there is some violence. Other than that, it was clear.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails