NOTES FROM THE BURROW

NOTES FROM THE BURROW

Friday, December 7, 2007

That's what the French call "a bidet."

One of my favorite times of the day is around 9:30 at night. I usually have very busy days with not much lounging around time. However, around 9:30 the kids are finally in bed. I let Nala out for the last time, get Chris his glass of water and set the security alarm. As I make my way upstairs, the prospect of lying in bed with the Tivo remote in my hand is thrilling. I love watching television. I love new shows, old shows, reality TV, crime-dramas, comedies, dramas, dramadies...I love them all. I love laying under my covers with the Tivo remote and a whole list of programs that are waiting to be viewed. The Tivo remote is so sleek in it's design. The curve of the remote fits perfectly in the palm of my hand. I love it.

Last Friday night, I was looking forward to my nightly ritual. I had had an unusually stressful day. The kids seemed louder that normal. The house seemed messier than normal. I was ready for bed and some TV. I made my way to the bedroom and didn't see the remote in its usual spot beside my bed. This is not wholly out of the norm; the kids sometimes watch TV in our room and place the remote in an unusual spot. I searched under the bed, in the nightstands, under the La-Z-Boy, in the cracks of the La-Z-Boy, under the dressers, on the desk and on top of the TV. No remote. So I start to ask, a little loudly, for some assistance in finding my remote. The kids come up and look but it's no where to be found.

I am frustrated and sad and head to the bathroom. What do you think I find when I open the lid to the toilet? Yep, my remote. My remote and someone's poop floating together in the bowl. I haven't been so upset in a long time. There are two issues here: 1. Who didn't flush? and 2. Who put the remote in the toilet? The answer to #2(ha) is clear. Cameron is the only child who would put something in the toilet that doesn't belong there. I couldn't get mad at him for that. However, the non-flusher, that's definitely a bigger kid who knows how to flush. We all had a little summit about the importance of flushing and all was ok.

Except my remote. There was no way to remedy the situation. It was thrown away. I couldn't keep it. Luckily, I have a couple of back-up remotes just in case. I took one out and it worked great. So my night wasn't completely ruined. I put my head on my pillow and was able to spend an hour of vegetative bliss.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails