NOTES FROM THE BURROW

NOTES FROM THE BURROW

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed...


Does anyone like salesmen?

I really want to know if there is someone out there who likes salesmen.

I don't think anyone does, yet they exist for whatever reason.

They keep coming to my house and trying to get me to buy gutter grates, siding, a new roof, windows. When they come to my door, I make all the kids freeze and we pretend we aren't home. If they see me, I have to pretend I'm deaf. They want to put some kind of sea salt on my finger nails. I was downright rude to some guy at the mall who wanted to touch my nails. JUST LET ME WALK DOWN THE MALL HALLWAY WITHOUT GRABBING MY HANDS AND RUBBING CRAP ON THEM! They want to spray me with perfume and change my telephone carrier and bring my kids in for a family photo. They want to sell me a month's worth of meat from a crappy pickup. (Thank you, Chris, for saving my butt on that one.) They want to sell me a vacuum that costs triple my house payment and suck 4 hours of my life away trying to convince me that I need it. (Again, thank you, Chris, for getting rid of her.) They yell at me to buy Girl Scout cookies, Boy Scout popcorn, Band candy bars from the front of the grocery store. I'll buy them from a friend, thank you.

Who are these people that can do this job? I know that I could not do it. I don't understand them at all. How can they do this job knowing that everyone hates them?

They bother you in your home or while you are doing something else. I just want to be left alone. I don't want to be talked to. I don't care if you have discovered the cure to fatness and think I might be interested. Just put the cure on the shelf and let me find it myself. I am ALWAYS just browsing, so get away. I don't care if my shingles are flying off the roof, when I want a new roof, I'll get a new roof.

The worst part, however, is that they don't take no for an answer. How is this acceptable behavior? You say, "No thank you" politely and they treat you like you are a four-year-old and can't possibly know what you really need. They come up with every reason in the book why you need to spend $20 on cleaning chemicals. They make you feel like a moron for not wanting to spend your life savings on a vacuum cleaner. They tell you you must not really care about your children if you aren't spending $300 on a set of educational CDs for them. They try to convince you that you are going to fall off a ladder cleaning leaves out of your gutters every fall. When they start these high pressure tactics on me, I want to slam the door in their faces. Does this really work on anyone? I really want to know.

Sorry to all you salesmen (Chris) out there for this rant. Just do your job peaceably and take no for an answer and move on to the next victim. Leave me and my leaky roof alone.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Love the quote! Say Anything is one of my favorite movies.

lissyfarnz said...

All I have to say is, Amen, Sister!

Actually I have one more thing to say, too. Did you hear about the woman right here in Canton who was attacked in her home by two people posing as gutter salesmen? She opened her door to speak with them and they barged right in. You never can be too careful. . .

Stacie said...

I totally hear ya! It really gets to me when they don't take no for an answer as well. I actually really like the salesmen who simply say, "Okay, thanks for your time" and walk away. The ones on the phone who won't take no are the worst!

Related Posts with Thumbnails