NOTES FROM THE BURROW

NOTES FROM THE BURROW

Thursday, August 14, 2008

but, sorry about your car, man. That... That sucks.

It's very interesting to me that my last four posts have been about cars.

Well, we lived for 4 days on one car and made it work and now Chris' work gave him a car to use so we are back to two cars. We try to downsize and get rid of our Jeep and now he's driving a Cadillac. So much for appearing to live modestly. Luckily, we don't have to make the payments; just buy the gas.

I don't really care about what kind of cars we drive. I have a 12 passenger van with no extras and vinyl floors. It fits my needs exactly. Growing up, we usually had junky or hand-me-down cars. My mom and dad had this ginormous Cadillac when I was a little girl. It was rust colored which was good because the rust blended right in. It had an armrest that came down in between the front seats which I called, "the hump." That was where I usually sat. After the giant Cadillac broke down too many times, we moved to a little red Chevette. It also had vinyl seats, no radio and no air conditioning. I hated that feel of vinyl on your sweaty legs in the summer. Ugh. In addition to the red Chevette, my dad drove a tiny Toyota that was many colors. The hood was blue, there was a yellow door and a white door. I can't remember the rest but I know there was some gray, unfinished metal and a lot of rust. It was pretty awesome. After the red Chevette, we got a gray Chevette that had cloth seats and a radio(AM). I was pretty sure I had moved up in the world. Cloth seats! What a luxury! The next two cars we got were blessings from grandparents. We got a used Oldsmobile station wagon. I thought that was cool because the rear seats faced backwards. We also got a Chevy Astro van equipped with a handicapped ramp for my dad. Not so cool.

I inherited the gray Chevette when I left home and drove it into the ground. Luckily Chris inherited a much better car, a Ford Explorer. We drove that into the ground and then bought a Jeep Cherokee with a payment of $79 per month. Hilarious!! That began our love affair with Jeeps. We have always had such good luck with them.

I like a nice, reliable car as much as the next person but I don't need fancy. I don't want the cost of fancy. I just want practical and enough seats for my growing family. Thanks, Marygrove, for making us a two car family again!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails