NOTES FROM THE BURROW

NOTES FROM THE BURROW

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Conference Sunday

One of my very favorite days of the year is General Conference Sunday. Not only do we get to be fed by the good word of God, but we also have a fun time together as a family. This year was no exception. This morning, we altered our usual Conference menu and made breakfast burritos and potato pancakes. I love potato pancakes and this was my first time making them. I thought they turned out really yummy. We also played Conference BINGO but instead of our usual prizes, we used raisins as markers and ate them we we got BINGO. It was fun being together and listening to our prophet and leaders. Some of the talks that touched me were:

President Eyring on Sunday morning, because of his talk I am going to add a new feature to my blog coming soon. Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us today?

Elder Wirthlin on Saturday afternoon. Loved the story about the old man painting his wife's nails and also loved how he was talking about small acts of love and when he needed it Elder Nelson was right there showing him an act of kindness and love.

Elder Oaks on Sunday afternoon reminded me to always choose to spend my precious time in the best way possible. I know I waste time playing video games and surfing the net. I can definitely cut back on some things. Certainly he doesn't mean to not blog, does he?!

Sister Julie Beck on Sunday morning. At first as I was listening to her, I started to feel incredibly inadequate. I want to be a mother who knows too but I don't do a good job at everything she talked about. Especially how she said our homes should look like the temple. Ugh! I decided I will make a list of everything she talked about and try to work on them one at a time. Hopefully, by the time I'm dead, I'll have them perfected.

Daniel Judd in the Sunday afternoon session gave me some good suggestions for teaching my Sunday School class.

I loved Elder Octaviano Tenorio's talk in Sunday afternoon session. Especially the story about getting his father to attend church. I can totally hear his children chanting, "shower, shower!."

I hope that my conviction is as certain as Elder Callister in the Sunday afternoon session. I want to know that I know that I know.

I have not yet watched Saturday morning session or the Priesthood session, so I'm sure I'll have things to add about those sessions soon.

A few years ago, I stumbled on an anti-Mormon website while searching for something else. What came up on my computer screen was a mocking of the general authorities and how they speak at conference. I remember feeling sick as I read it. How can you mock these men of God? I do not know. As I listened to conference, I took comfort from Elder Scott's soothing tones and gentle pleading. I sat up a little straighter as Elder Ballard spoke because I think he can see me slouching in my chair. I shed tears as Elder Eyring's voice got that familiar quaver as he bore his testimony of the Savior. I leaned in to hear the words of our beloved prophet. I am thankful for these men and for their testimonies. My testimony was reinforced from listening to their words; my resolve to be a better person strengthened.

You can listen to the talks here: http://www.lds.org/conference/sessions/display/0,5239,49-1-775,00.html

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails