NOTES FROM THE BURROW

NOTES FROM THE BURROW

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I believe I can fly...maybe

I am probably the worst housekeeper there is. I am disorganized and crazy busy. I start projects and leave them halfway done. I get too tired at night to pick up so I start each day facing the same mess. There are some areas in my house that I would rather die than let other people see. I have been thinking about my messes and my lack of housekeeping skills for several months. Just thinking, not acting yet. Then, I heard Sis. Julie Beck's talk at General Conference this month. Here's a little portion of what she said:

"Homemaking includes cooking, washing clothes and dishes, and keeping an orderly home. Home is where women have the most power and influence; therefore, Latter-day Saint women should be the best homemakers in the world. Working beside children in homemaking tasks creates opportunities to teach and model qualities children should emulate. Nurturing mothers are knowledgeable, but all the education women attain will avail them nothing if they do not have the skill to make a home that creates a climate for spiritual growth. Growth happens best in a "house of order," and women should pattern their homes after the Lord's house. Nurturing requires organization, patience, love, and work."

Ugh. I heard her say that I should be the best homemaker in the world and I felt AWFUL! I was actually angry at her at first. What right did she have to say this? But then her words ruminated in my head for several days. I kept looking around my home and was reminded of my inadequacy in this area. I came to a realization: I am not happy with things like they are. I want to be a better housekeeper. Not just because a church leader says I should, but because I am sure that I will be happier if I am. Who doesn't want to be happier? I do. I don't want to have to tell my friends that they can't go down to my toy room to see their children. I don't want to have to search for two matching clean socks everyday in my giant sock bucket. I don't want to have to say a prayer of hope each time my husband asks me to find a screwdriver or drillbit. I am tired of having to wade my way through the toys in the basement. All these things are standing in the way of my happiness.

So what am I going to do? Right now, I am so far behind that I am discouraged. I see how far I need to go and I want to quit before I start. I am going to try the Flylady method. I have done it before and was successful. If you have never heard of the Flylady, go to www.flylady.com. I am going to start her babysteps program. Today is day 1. I am going to shine my sink. I hope I can do this because I really need to make this change for me. If you have any suggestions, let me know. I am open to anything.

2 comments:

Stacie said...

I've heard about flylady, but haven't checked it out yet. I think you should #1, don't beat yourself up about it. Sister Beck's words are a little hard to swallow. If you feel there is room for improvement, try to change, but not out of guilt. Then you'll just be mad. :o) And I think #2, do a little at a time. One small project. Did you go to Teresa's organization class last week? I really enjoyed it and learned a lot even though I consider myself pretty organized. I'll pass along the info sometime if you'd like it. But hang in there, and don't beat yourself up.

Unknown said...

Dear Jennifer!!!!
I will help you to clean any chore that you want to!! And I won't be judgemental at all because I love you all and as a retired ole first grade teacher, I know how children can keep one busy and what messes they can make!!! Let's do it!!!!!!!!!

Love you, Mom

Related Posts with Thumbnails