NOTES FROM THE BURROW

NOTES FROM THE BURROW

Friday, September 26, 2008

When you read a book as a child, it becomes a part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your whole life does.

I finished the Book of Mormon today. Every time I read it, I find something new that amazes me. This time when I was reading, I was especially drawn to the story of Alma and Amuleck. Their faith was astounding. I was also struck by the quick downfall of the Nephites after the visit of the Savior.

I don't know how many reads that makes in my lifetime. I do remember the first time I read it. It was 1988 and I was 13. Our Young Women leaders challenged all of us girls to read it and if we did, we would get a keepsake pillow. I was motivated by the idea of the pillow. In fact, I still have the pillow and it has been on every bed I have owned for the last 20 years. The pillow reminds me of the first time I read the most correct book on the earth. The pillow reminds me of the feelings I had that first time reading it and knowing it was true. The pillow reminds me that I need to read and reread the Book of Mormon daily. It reminds me that I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that I will get closer to the Savior by reading it. I am thankful for those YW leaders who challenged me to read the Book of Mormon 20 years ago. I am thankful for a book of scripture that I can turn to and find answers to life's most pressing questions. I am thankful for a book that guides me on a daily basis and encourages me to press forward in the face of adversity. I know the Book of Mormon is true and I am thankful that it is a part of my life.


I know it looks ratty and dirty, but I'm afraid to wash it because I don't want the paint to come off.

1 comment:

GramMO said...

Thank you for sharing your testimony. (you might try those home dryer dry cleaner sheets, they come with a good spot remover that works pretty well)

Related Posts with Thumbnails